CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Three days down, how many to go?

We've made it to west Texas, whew. It hasn't been like the old pre-kids road trips, that much I can say for sure! Our first day we didn't get going until late morning, not the pre-dawn we'd hoped for. Dh wanted to try to get to this little town about an hour south of the border where he felt our caravan would be safe. We stopped for dinner late, just past Monterrey and when we went out to continue on to the next stop the truck wouldn't start. So at 11:00 at night we had to get a mechanic to come check it out. Thankfully it was Mexico where you don't need AAA and a million bucks to get some guys to pop out your fuel pump in the parking lot and the install a new one at midnight. It did not seem like an auspicious beginning to our trip though.

So that was the first night, we finally pulled in to the hotel at 2 am. We got a nice late start the next day, spent a good long time at customs where they x-rayed our cars (who knew?) and then made it to Uvalde in time to catch a little of The Biggest Loser (go girls!!!!) and get a swim in. The pool was just a little one so I swam in place by doing freestyle into the ladder, I don't know if it would count as real exercise or not but it felt good after 700 miles in the car (and in the 95 degree heat!!! Holy Cow is Texas hot already!!!!)

Today we only made it to Fort Stockton. We stopped for gas in Del Rio and when I got back in my car wouldn't start! Again we had great mechanic karma, I hadn't even reached for my AAA card yet when a mechanic came over and offered to help. He had a shop a couple blocks away and quickly figured out that we had a lame-o battery and all the a/c, radio/laptop charging/trailer lights had sucked it dry so we got a bigger battery installed pronto and got on the road again. And here we are in windy Ft Stockton. The wind right now is so strong it is kicking waves out of the pool! Seriously. The last hour of driving today SUCKED> Ali G screamed the entire time. Her carseat is really old, a little too big and just clearly not comfy (nor probably safe). I had a perfect replacement in my hands this morning when we went to get dd1 a booster seat to make her street legal. I can tell you I kicked myself that whole hour for cheaping out and not just buying it.

So! That's our story so far. The dog is doing great, the cat is pretty freaked (and needs a round of antibiotics that I'd been hoping I could skip but don't think is wise to any longer) and dh and I are doing okay. The girls are doing great for the most part but I think 300 miles is our maximum mileage before they go insane each day.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.